The most popular charter.
Key West Backcountry fishing trips include a big mix of the shallow water fishery. These trips can be taken on flats boats or bay boat. The bay boat scene is becoming huge in Florida because of the types of fishing you’re able to engage in while out on the water. Bay boats can get fairly shallow as well as take a pretty decent chop. This gives the bay boat trip the flexibility to be able to accomplish almost anything out on the water, given the right weather and conditions. Backcountry fishing in a bay boat is overall more comfortable than a flats boat, because of its size. You can fit up to 4 anglers on a bay boat, yet 2-3 is preferred.
Stress Free Fishing
- Backcountry fishing is usually less stress free, and a great way to get on the water. Throughout your day, you can catch a variety of species. Some of those fish include jacks, snappers, barracuda, sharks, tarpon, bonefish, permit, and more!
- While fishing in the backcountry, there are 20 different types of species that you could catch. Most of the fishing is done in shallow channels that cut through the grass flats, which has a ton of life. Being in a bay boat, you can also engage in some of the shallow water wrecks and reefs just outside of the backcountry. Being able to be versatile is key, because sometimes the fishing needs to be done in a different area than originally planned. Backcountry fishing from a bay boat has become a new favorite for experienced and novice Key West anglers alike.
- There are a ton of opportunities while fishing the backcountry. You can fish for some of the most sought after gamefish as well as some easier, more relaxing, fun fighting fish. The day is yours for what you want to accomplish. There are many different types of fishing you can do within the backcountry. Flats fishing is the more technical type of fishing in the backcountry. This is primarily sight casting in the shallows throughout the backcountry, but on the flats.
- The species that many flats fishing anglers like to go after is permit, bonefish, tarpon, and barracuda. The only way to catch a few of these fish is sight casting, which creates a difficult, more advanced day that experienced anglers appreciate. This is not the best type of trip to bring kids on. Kids and itchy anglers who just want to catch some fish and have fun will not enjoy flats fishing due to the difficulty and patience factor. Some days flats fishing you may only catch a couple fish, yet these fish are the most prized backcountry species. Flats fishing takes a special kind of angler.
Switch It Up
- Some people enjoy splitting up their fishing vacation when they are in Key West and like to try a couple different kinds of fishing. This is a good way to experience all the different types of fishing we have, so if you are interested in flats fishing, try it while you’re here. If you don’t like it, the next closest thing would be a general backcountry trip.